- Pilotage is primarily a port safety system for the protection of waterways, port facilities and the wider community.
- Pilotage is a service that operates in the interest of public safety.
- Pilots provide independent dynamic assistance to the ships they guide as well as information about the surrounding traffic and protecting the environment.
- Pilots are closely involved with the development of EU and IMO maritime safety policies.
- Pilots play an important role in the improvement of Port State Control by the EU.
EMPA´S PRINCIPAL OBJECTIVES:
- To provide Professional and Safe Pilotage
- To promote the Education and Training of Maritime Pilots
- To ensure Continued Proficiency
- To develop International Quality and Safety Standards for Maritime Pilots
- To build on the profound Maritime Experience of its members
- To ensure the Medical Fitness of Maritime Pilots
- To take an active part in EU Research Programmes
- To work with Vessel Traffic Services (VTS)
- To make use of Formal Safety Assessment procedures
- To work with Port Authorities and Harbourmasters on both technical and safety matters.